We are pleased to have several local authors and publishers represented on our shelves here at The Next Chapter. Who knew we lived in such a talented community? Several of these titles come from The Write Place, an independent publisher in Pella, Iowa, and we appreciate all the work they do to bring the less-known authors to print.
Many of these titles make excellent gifts — particularly for the graduates and dads in your life!
Below is a list of the local titles/authors we currently carry — please let us know if there are others we should know about!
- Across the Known World, Poems by Keith Ratzlaff
- Adventures in Contemporary Yucatan: An American’s Reflections, by Alan Van Bodegraven
- The Calamity Jayne series, by Kathleen Bacus, including Calamity Jayne, Calamity Jayne Rides Again, Ghouls Just Want to Have Fun, Calamity Jayne Goes West, Calamity Jayne Goes to College, and Anchors Aweigh
- Coal Mining Days in Marion County, Iowa, 1880s – 1990s, by Harriet Heusinkveld
- Dubious Angels, Poems after Paul Klee, by Keith Ratzlaff
- Dutch Costumes: A Look Into the Past, by Jacki Craver & Phyllis Zylstra with Photography by Desha Bruxvoort
- Fiance at Her Fingertips, by Kathleen Bacus
- Iowa, The Definitive Collection, Classics of Contemporary Readings by Iowans, About Iowa, edited by Zachary Michael Jack, including a piece by local author Robert Leonard
- Letters to a Young Iowan: Good Sense from the Good Folks of Iowa for Young People Everywhere, edited by Zachary Michael Jack, including a piece by Robert Leonard
- Machine Quilting : The Basics & Beyond, by Lynn Witzenburg
- Man Under a Pear Tree, Poems by Keith Ratzlaff
- My America, by E. J. G. Bloemendaal
- Red Rock, Iowa : Annals of a Frontier Community 1843 – 1969, by Harriet Heusinkveld
- The Reel Adventures of A Marion County Angler, by Jeff Rowland
- then, a thousand crows, by Keith Ratzlaff
- This Side of Normal, by Eric Devine
- Treasury of Gems: Humor and Wisdom Collected Over a Lifetime, by Mary Addink
- Weller Roots: A Book of Memories, Concerning the Life and Times of St. Mary’s Catholic Church and of Weller, Iowa, compiled by Martha and John Popson, Joan and Larry Beary, Jean and Joe Hollinrake, and June and David Kasper
- When Someone Dies, by Sharon Greenlee, Illustrated by Bill Drath
- Yellow Cab, by Robert Leonard